Sunday, May 17, 2009

Confirmed!

Yesterday I had the honor of being a Confirmation Sponsor for a family friend. I was so humbled that Brittney chose me as her Sponsor. I take the honor seriously and I will do my best to always show her how I value my faith and I pray that she finds trust in knowing that I am someone who will care about her and her faith development

It was such an awesome celebration. A church filled with so many young people alive in their faith. The Bishop was present, along with our Priests and Deacons. As Brittney and I approached the alter with the other candidates and their sponsors, I thought to myself that this was her first sacrament where her parents didn't carry her or walk along side her. She walked forward on her own, supported by me as her sponsor, into the beginning of her adult faith journey. The symbolism of that moment truly struck me - Brittney’s preparation and personal convictions had led her to that altar and to the special graces of Confirmation. As she was being Confirmed, I placed my hand on her shoulder and said my own prayers for the path that lies ahead for her and her fellow classmates.

It was a beautiful day and the Spirit was most defiantly present! Congratulations Brittney!