I love Craigslist . I love it a little too much. I am a self diagnosed Craigslist addict. I'm constantly on the site looking for something free, something cheap, or looking to see what I can get rid of for a little bit of cash. My first experience with Craigslist was getting rid of our clothes dryer after our washing machine died on us. I needed to buy a new washer and I had to have the "matching dryer". It was working just fine, but I felt it was time to buy a new one that would match my new high efficiency washer (since I average about 20-25 washes per week). So I put an add on Criagslist with a couple of attached pictures of the inside and outside of the dryer. Within minutes of the ad being up I had my choice of people that quickly responded. Within 1 hour the dryer was out of my garage and I had $75 cash in hand. From that moment on, I was hooked!! I then (the same day) took a picture of our lawn mower that was just sitting in the garage taking up space. Again, it was gone within the hour. It was the easiest $150 I had ever made ($75 for the lawn mower and $75 for the dryer).
Needless to say, I have since become obsessed with posting on Craigslist. I recently looked at my Craigslist account. You can review everything you have ever posted. I had 141 postings! Yep, 141 ! Now, that is not to say that I have sold everything and some things were double posts, but overall I would say I have sold to about 100 people. Mind you, no huge ticket items. Mostly kids clothes, toys, books and baby equipment, maternity clothes (no, I will not need them again!). However, we did sell our treadmill, ping-pong table and bakers rack which were higher priced items. Since I haven't returned to work since Brendan was born, Craiglsist has provided me with some extra money when I needed it (not to mention cleaning out some of the clutter that accumulates from having 5 growing kids!).
Just a couple weeks ago, I decided to post our trampoline that was becoming an eye-sore in our backyard. I was so sick of starring out my kitchen window and having to look at the faded, torn and NEVER USED trampoline that my kids just HAD TO HAVE! Well, the thing was over 6 years old (we got it for free from our neighbor about 3 years ago). It was faded, ripped from the wind storm this past winter and just down right "used"! So, I took a picture of it and put it up on Craigslist under "Free Stuff". I noted the wear and tear and posted "you disassemble, you haul away". Well, let me tell you, within minutes my phone and e-mail in-box was inundated with I am not exaggerating...30 calls and 20 or more e-mails with the first 15 minutes. Within 1/2 hour, the lucky recipient "Larry" was in our back yard with his brother Daryl and his other brother Daryl (minus their teeth). They were taking the tramp apart like pros and PUFF, it was gone! Alleluia! I actually like looking out my kitchen window now. I got the biggest high (even though I didn't get any cash for it) to just have it out of my yard. Thank you Craigslist.
In terms of purchasing items on Craigslist, you can get some really good deals. My favorite purchases have been our 5 burner gas cook-top for $200...in perfect condition and a double jogging stroller that I purchased for $75 and resold 2 weeks later for $100 (after realizing Andrew was no going to sit in it with Brendan). In fact, I have purchased 4 strollers on Craigslist in the last year and currently, I do not own one of them. I have resold each one of them for at least what I paid.
Let's see, what else have I bought???? A bike for Catherine, clothes for Matthew and Alexander, 2 patio umbrellas, a baby swing and bouncy seat for Brendan (resold them both), Halloween costumes, and a like-new Britax car seat. Even if I don't buy, I love to just look and see what people are selling. I am currently looking for a mountain bike for me, an activity walker push toy for Brendan, outdoor patio furniture (Mike doesn't know about this), and a kitchen table to seat 8. I check the postings everyday in hopes that something will come up and of course...at a good price! It's all about the hunt.
I get a little upset when I post items that don't sell. I mean, really...my stuff isn't junk. For instance, I have an electronic football table (ESPN Fast Action Football). Santa brought this for the kids a couple years back. It is still in great condition, no broken pieces, instructions included, etc... BUT, not one bite. It sells new for $150 and I have lowered my price from $60 to $50 to $40 and now it is currently posted for $30. What's the deal?
So, I guess you can see my obsession with Craigslist. I love it and it is my new hobby. I recommend that you check out the Craigslist in your area. I have introduced many family and friends to my friend "Craig" (hey, I think I should get some sort of a kick back!! ). Well, better go...gotta find something to sell!