Tuesday, July 29, 2008

One Flag! Six Flags! More Flags! More FUN!



For those of you who are not familiar with the Six Flags TV commercials, here is a link to one of them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskdT1B2vB8

Well, we did it! All seven of us took a spontaneous trip to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom yesterday. Yes, even Daddy joined us (thanks Dad for taking the day off). Honestly, I was a bit apprehensive. As much as I LOVE roller coasters, I just didn't know how it was all going to work out with the age range of the kids and a husband who despises roller coasters and things that spin. Also, I was concerned about Andrew and Brendan...missing naps, eating in the stroller, diaper changes in not so sanitary conditions and a newly potty trained toddler peeing on the mini-roller coaster!! Selfishly I wanted to just hang out with Matthew and Alexander and go on all of crazy upside down roller coasters time and time again! It had been a long time since I was at Six Flags (and not pregnant), that I could actually really enjoy myself. Thanks to Mike and his dislike for many of the rides, I was able to hang out with the big boys and Catherine. We went on as many coasters as we could. Catherine was quite disappointed that she was not tall enough to ride the biggest and scariest ones. She has no fear (or it may be that she refuses not to be able to due something that her big brothers can). However, she did get her chance to experience her first upside down roller coaster and went on it about 5 times! We spent quite a bit of time in the toddler/kiddie area and Andrew had a blast. He went on the train, the mini- roller coaster, flew the helicopter, the planes, and then did it again and again and again! Brendan was the biggest trooper of all. He just hung out in his stroller or in the back-pack, took a short nap, had a few snacks and bottles and all in all was a good baby boy! Thank you Brendan.

Since the food at Six Flags is so over-the-top expensive, I packed lunch for the family and we headed out of the park and up the hill to our car to enjoy sandwiches and munchies. I am proud to say, that aside from the admission fee ($150 for 5 of us) the parking fee ($15) and the gas to drive from Roseville to Vallejo and back ($50) we spent no extra money. As they say, our time together as a family...PRICELESS!!

The best part of the day were the sincere thanks that we received from Alexander, Matthew and Catherine. They really had a blast and I believe that they appreciated that fact that we took the time and money to take them. Andrew even joined in and continued to thank us on the drive home (even though we were hoping he would just shut-up and fall asleep!).

Below are some photos from our day at Six Flags (for our memories if nothing else). It wasn't the best day for picture taking as we were balancing strollers, backpacks, diaper bags, sweatshirts, smuggled-in snacks and oh yeah...I forgot, the camera too!



Getting ready to watch the Killer Whale "Shouka" show!

Mike and the kids (except for Brendan) on the White Water Rapids

Having lunch in the back of the Expedition


Alexander and Andrew on the kiddie-coaster

Yes, sometimes we actually even like each other!

Look Mom, I am in the "hellercopper"!


When all was said and done, we agreed...SIX FLAGS=MORE FUN!!!