Monday, June 8, 2009

Sounds Like A Family...

I was talking to a friend on the phone the other day. She is not married and has no children. It was after school, getting close to dinner time. She asked what all the noise was in the background. I stopped to listen to see what she was talking about. I said "Oh, well, Catherine is chatting with a friend. Alexander and Matthew are watching SportsCenter highlights and disagreeing about something. Andrew and Brendan are playing blocks. I'm getting dinner ready and unloading the dishwasher while we chat." She was quiet for a minute and she said "Sounds like a family, that's nice". She wasn't trying to be profound but her words were so genuine it touched me. I thought about how a lot of times I wish our house was a little quieter but I really do take the sounds of my family for granted. Her words changed my perception... so the next time I feel like my house is little too noisy.. I will (try) to stop and take a listen to the sounds of "a family".