Monday, August 16, 2010

Ugh! Here I am again making lunches...

Lunches. I hate making lunches. I hate packing lunch boxes. I hate emptying lunch boxes, I hate making sandwiches that may or may not get eaten, I hate finding little lids to all the little tiny boxes and then washing out the little lids and the little tiny boxes at the end of the day. I hate feeling guilty about the little individually packaged, over priced drinks and yogurts and puddings. I hate packaging my own drinks and yogurts and puddings. I hate that I haven’t figured out a way to make this my kids’ job, and not mine.

You see, I have fantasies that I have my children’s lunches packed in advance, with healthy foods and in earth friendly packages and they love them and eat them.

I always start out the year strong. My new idea this year is to stock pile pre-made sandwiches in the freezer each week.  For the most part, my kids eat PB & J everyday (boring, but easy, cheap and if it's on wheat bread, it's healthy, Right?!).  I try my best to include one “protein.” one treat. one fruit. one drink.

I admire my friends who seem to have this under control...packing them up the night before.  You see, not in this house.  The last thing I want to do at night, after making dinner is make lunches for the next day.  I know, I just need to get over it, just suck it up? And, NO, I am not pawning this chore off onto my kids.  That just would make me even crazier!  I am just venting because I am not looking forward to the approximate 900 lunches that I will be putting together between now and June (Mike's included)!

So,  for now, here I stand, at the kitchen counter hoping that my kids will still like peanut butter and jelly on wheat!.