Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Catching Up-part 3..Baseball Season

As much has I enjoy baseball season , I am never sad to see it come to an end. This year more so than ever.

Don't get me wrong, the kids had a GREAT season, great coaches, great teammates and an overall great experience. I just get tired of the numerous practices and games each week and the LATE night games that Alexander and Matthew played, often not getting home until 10pm on a school night. Also, Catherine's games seemed to overlap with the boys games which meant I was splitting my time between ball fields with Brendan and Andrew in tow (Mike was Asst. Coach for the boys team, so I had to take the little guys with me to and from each game) AND keep tabs on them during the game, which often got in the way of watching the games at all!!

On a not so positive note, I really do not like our "league". No need to get into the nitty-gritty here on my blog. Suffice it to say, I am continually disappointed with the attitudes, politics and overall immature behavior of "adults" who take their jobs as coaches and board members WAY TO SERIOUS!! I saw coaches behaving in ways that I pray my kids will never emulate and league mucky-mucks walking around and acting like it was the MLB!! The truth is, watching tightly wound parents, umpires, and coaches bickering is not my ideaa of fun. For crying out loud people--GROW UP!!!

Enough said about that...

Alexander and Matthew were on an awesome team with a GREAT head coach. This guy knew baseball, loved the game, knew how to encourage the boys in a gentle yet firm manner. Mike was his assistant and I can't tell you how many times throughout the season he would come home and say to me how impressed he was with the coach. Just an overall great guy!!

The Orioles finished 4th overall in the AAA Division. Alexander and Matthew played many positions but mostly pitcher and catcher, along with 1st, 3rd and short-stop. The had a solid hitting season with many doubles, triples and home runs. Matthew even hit a grand-slam home run during the last game of the season! Also, both boys were chosen to "try-out" for the 11 yr. old All-Star team. GREAT JOB BOYS!!

I didn't take many pictures this season, but here are just a few!