-4-
I received a pre-recorded call from our District Superintendent today. The gist of the call was to prepare us for the inevitable budget cuts that will effect our schools. The Governor's 2009-2010 budget proposal includes deep cuts to education It was a disturbing call covered up with lots of fluff, like "we care for your children and we will do all we can to provide them with the highest possible quality education". Similarly, Mike came home last week and shared with me some of the "proposed" budget cuts for his district. WOW! It was frightening to say the least. This happening in a state that already ranks 47th. in math and about 48th in reading. Thankfully Mike has some seniority at his school. They will be doing away with some Admin. positions in his district. We pray his is not one of them!
-5-
I have decided that next month I am going to challenge myself (and the family) and become more consciously aware of the money we spend. My plan is to write down every single cent that leaves our account. I am going to post (on the fridge), on a simple chart filled in with pencil. Yes, I know they have software for this type of thing, but I can't handle the complication...and the kids can't SEE it either. Paper and pencil is so much easier. I'm really excited to do this. Which is weird, I know, but I think it's fun. I want to see how far I can push myself and my children to buy nothing but the bare essentials for at least one month. I'm hoping that keeping track of everything will in some way curb the spending (which isn't excessive in the first place). It's like they tell you when you are on a diet to write down everything you eat. If you have to write 1 bag of Hershey's Kisses- 3, 780 calories, you might be reluctant to eat the whole bag. I am going to need to give this a little more thought and outline what I mean by "bare essentials". It can be a broad term that can sometimes be manipulated into meaning pretty much anything. I know finances are to be kept private and I mostwill most likely not share many of the details here on my blog. I jthink it is my responsibility to help my kids be aware of what it takes to run a household and maintain their lifestyle.
-6-
What are the kids up to?
Alexander and Matthew: Basketball game and baseball tryouts this weekend.
Catherine: Recovering from her pneumonia, but feeling the itch to get out of the house...(me too)
Andrew: He's three---what else is there to say?
Brendan: He is so amazingly sweet to cuddle! Have I mentioned I CAN'T KEEP HIM OFF THE DARN COUNTERS...oh yeah, I have!
-7-
I have mentioned before that I am on Facebook. I really didn't think I would get into it, but I must admit I enjoy it and I am thankful for it. I have been able to reconnect with old friends and family members. It's just nice to see what certain people are up to, or to even just a quick email to say that you are thinking of them.
Thanks for stopping by today. Hope I haven't bored you to death!