So yesterday Alexander came home from school with a sheet of notebook paper folded neatly. On the outside was my name, written on a post-it note by his teacher. I thought to myself, this can be either good or bad, in that while I have yet to receive a "your kid misbehaved in school" call or letter, there's a first time for everything. So on a small scale I braced myself. But no, this note from his teacher actually contained good news and made me even more proud of Alexander than I am already.
As I opened the paper, another post-it note from his teacher read, "Jen, this assignment was to write and describe the best gift you have ever received. I thought this was so sweet. Enjoy!"
I then unfolded the paper one more time and began to read what Alexander had written about, (note, this assignment was completed before Christmas break)...
My Best Gift Ever
by: Alexander Gordon
Age 10
Mrs. Seffens 4th Grade Class
The best gift I have ever received is my awesome family with brothers, parents and a sister. My parents are really nice because they pay for all of my sports programs and teach me so many things. My brother and I are so cooperative with each other, even when we don't agree on the same thing. We always work it out. My sister can sometimes be a pain but she also is pretty cooperative too.
I am really lucky because I have parents to love me, make me lunch every day, and pay bills and taxes every year. They come and watch all of my sports games.
My bother Matthew is always by my side, even when I am down in the blues. Even though my sister is sometimes a rude, she is still a fun sister to play with.
I love my family and they are the best gift I have ever received!
Alexander's teacher said most students wrote about "material things"...Wii's, video games, etc... Thanks Alexander for being the son that you are! You are indeed a gift to our family and we wouldn't be complete without you! I love you Z!!
To those of you who may be reading my blog, thanks for continuing to allow me to share the little moments of my life with you. It goes without saying that I am striving to be the best mom and wife I can be. It is these little gems that make it all the more meaningful and helps to keep the way I view the joys and frustrations of daily life in perspective!