Thursday, January 29, 2009

They will rise up and call her "Blessed"...

Yesterday I had the honor of attending the funeral and celebration Mass of Agapita Villanueva Pena. She was the mother of a long time friend of mine. It was one of the most touching and inspiring funerals I've ever been too. She was truly a Godly woman whose life had an impact on countless people. Her impact was so beautifully seen seen in the lives of her children and their spouses, her grand-children, as well as her nieces and nephews and anyone that had ever met her...myself included.

Her life was a wonderful gift to her family, and it left me wondering... what legacy will I leave my children, family and friends? I had 4 hours in the car on the way home from Carmel to think about it (as it is not a regular practice of mine to ponder my death). But, that is what I spent a good amount of time doing as I drove home to Roseville (between entertaining and keeping Andrew and Brendan happy in the back seat).

I loved hearing all of the wonderful memories that the Pena family had of their mother/grandmother. From the appearances of things, they learned from the best! What a great heritage "Pita" Pena has left behind. I can only hope and pray to do they same for my family.

Mrs. Pena "Pita", was remembered as a beautiful and radiant person. Most people best described her by her smile and kind personality that was contagious. She was also remembered as fun and fun loving; always spreading sunshine and joy and an amazingly strong woman with a incredible love of family.

I realize that I am in a tough "season of life", with small children and a busy life. I believe my five children are a true blessing...a gift from God, but also...a heck of a lot of work! I don't feel as though I am doing a very good job of "spreading joy and sunshine" in their lives!!! And radiant???...not so much!!!

However, it is my goal to leave this life on earth having touched lives, loved and been loved. I want to teach my children about living life to the fullest. But that is what I struggle with!!! I am not so sure that I am the best example of what I want my kids to remember. I desire to live a life worth admiring and emulating. I believe that what we do in life, echos in eternity. I want to exude unconditional love to my children. It is a huge task, especially with the pressure from the outside and my need to protect them. I want to be there for them whenever they need to talk, to get a hug, or to just be together. Whenever they have a problem, I want them to know that I will listen and give the best advice I can. I want them to know that I will always be with them, if only in their hearts.

So, what is the measure of a person when they die? I am hoping mine will be the impact I can make on my family and the friendships I have/will create along the journey. I hoping that God blesses me with many more years to try and accomplish the desire in my heart.

I have lots of thoughts circulating in my head right now. But for now, I will end this post (some of you might find it depressing).

Agapita Villanueva Pena... You were truly beautiful to the end! Your influential love will forever be felt in the hearts of your family and those that knew you. My hope for my life is the same! I will look to your presence in heaven as a guide for doing the right thing for my family. May you rest in Gods eternal peace!