Friday, September 11, 2009

Always Remember, Never Forget...9-11-01

Today we remember the victims and countless heroes from the fateful day of 9-11-01.

The biggest national tragedy of my life was September 11, 2001. I had never experienced an event like it and hope I will never see another.

Like most people, I remember where I was when I first heard what happened. I woke up in the morning and turned on the television – like I did every other morning. The second tower had not been hit yet. I was nine months pregnant with Catherine (and ended up in a car accident later that day that started my labor).

After the initial shock and sadness that day brought, the days that followed were extraordinary. Those days made me more proud to be an American then I had ever been before. We the people were truly united. The feelings were genuine and pure and still brings me to tears.

Everywhere I looked the American flag was waving. Businesses, homes, cars, people walking on the street – there were more American flags then I had ever seen. With all those flags came comfort and reassurance that this is truly the greatest nation on earth.

Happy Birthday to all those born on this date (or close to it--Catherine Claire). Let our celebration of life be a reminder to those that attempted to break us that we are still standing proudly and believe that America is the best place to live!!

And let us be thankful for those who work to keep this tragedy from ever happening again, especially the soldiers who put their lives on the line for us. God bless them and their heroic families..