I read Obama's "Back to School" speech this morning. I figured I should, considering my children came home from school yesterday telling me all about it. "Mom, it was pretty good and he only used one bad word.... he said the 's' word mom". ("stupid"...my kids think they are the bad-word police).
So, after I dropped the kids off at school this morning, I pulled it up on the computer and read away...
Other than the line about "giving up on your country," I had no problems with it. (which I found surprising.) I guess someone in the White House wised up and realized it would only hurt Obama to make the speech a politicized piece of brainwashing propaganda.
Even though I didn't vote for Mr. Obama and I certainly don't agree with his policies, I think his speech was very encouraging to the students -especially the ones from broken homes. He doesn't let them make excuses of why they 'can't' do something. He makes himself of an example of being a child in a single parent home and his mom working hard. There are some kids out there looking up to him and hopefully it made a positive impact on them. (this is probably the nicest thing I have ever said about our president)
That being said, after reading it I thought to myself, aren't most parents and teachers saying the exact same stuff to kids day after day? I didn't hear anything even remotely noteworthy or exceptional. Overall, I am not sure it was necessary to disrupt the entire U.S. public educational system over this speech.
Can't wait to hear his address to Congress tonight!!