Sunday, November 1, 2009

Boo Humbug

You see-Halloween is not my thing! I guess I am a bit of a humbug. Perhaps I'm just a "tired, old, Mom".

I love most other holidays but I must admit I can't see the point of Halloween.

I dread Halloween every single year. Especially now that I have 5 children. Yes, I know I'm going to Mommy Hell because I hate having to dress my kids up and drag them to strangers' homes to beg for food. Trust me when I say that I am anxiously counting down the days until my youngest child is too old for Halloween.

You know what I hate most about Halloween? I hate finding a costume. Money is tight and I don't like spending money on anything that is not a necessity. Costumes are not a necessity. And have you seen the prices of costumes these days? They're outrageous! SHEESH!! Rip off, much?

If I'm going to spend $20-30 on clothes, it's going to be something that my children can wear repeatedly for a long time. I'm not going to spend $20 on white crepe paper sewn together with the a picture of Star Wars stamped on the front. Ain't happenin'!

Seriously, we encounter Halloween for a month prior to the event!

Now, don't get me wrong...
My house was decorated and yes, everyone was in costume. Yes, the kids all went trick-or treating (no pictures this year because I don't have a working camera). But to me it seems like a lot of work (and money) for some candy.

But my kids love Halloween. That's right. I may be a bad mommy for hating it by I don't pass on my hatred to my kids. I just procrastinate a whole lot when it comes to costumes.

My favorite part of Halloween is staying home and handing out the candy. I do love the littlest kids in costume that are truly thrilled with the idea of dressing up and getting candy from neighbors. I do however dislike all those kids who are way too old to be trick or treating that come to my door. They just stand there holding their pillowcase open, reeking of a sense of entitlement, without even saying trick or treat? Yeah. THOSE kids.

I also hate the excessive amounts of candy that my kids get for Halloween. We get so much candy that we could never eat it all.
This year the "Halloween Fairy" didn't visit our house but rather we are donating all of the left over candy to www.soldiersangels.org and I am excited about that! (check it out)

But when it is all said and done, I do enjoy seeing the smiles on my kids' faces. That's enough to keep me going every year.