Friday, November 20, 2009

OVERWHELMED: Because you know it has already begun!


"A goal without a plan is just a wish" Larry Elder

Here are my goals this coming Christmas season:

1. To remember in spite of what every merchandiser believes, the Christmas season, FOR ME, starts on the first day of Advent. That day falls on Sunday, November 29.

2. To stay CENTERED. Not have my heart and mind pulled in every direction by super cute craft ideas, millions of delectable recipes, decorating photos that make me swoon. There is NO way I can try everything, have my house look like a magazine and stay focused on how I really want my heart to feel this Christmas. I promise I will not go overboard with new recipes, or decorating ideas. I will just admire .... no more than that!!

3. Be done with my shopping by______ !!!! Well... ummmm, how about "earlier than last year". This goal is still a work in progress. I am trying to be realistic. The problem is I have this SAME goal every year and I have yet to accomplished it. One thing I know for sure is if I really want to enjoy the TRUE MEANING of the Christmas season, I must not be standing in line, buying, listing, stressed, annoyed, snappy, away from my family at some dreadful store, buying, buying, buying! Barf! I want to TRY to avoid the crowds, shop in peace.

4. Wrap as I buy! I am always the one locked in a bedroom until all hours of the night on Christmas Eve wrapping my brains out. NOT THIS YEAR!!!!

5. To keep in mind Christmas pasts...not my Christmas pasts, but Christmas's really past. When one gift or two was enough. When the season was more about the sweet stuff and less about Walmart. More about family time and family meals... and less about Lights at the Zoo and Holiday Workshops, loads of gifts and fancy trees. I WANT the old-fashioned Christmas...not the new-fangled one.

6. To, concentrate 99% of my efforts on the real meaning behind the holiday. To REMIND my family constantly (and myself) what Christmas really is...that does not mean NO fun...I love the fun stuff, trust me. I just think we all need to be reminded (especially these days) what we are really celebrating.

Basically, I want my home to be a calm haven away from a mad swirl of what the world thinks we ought to do to celebrate Christmas! I want to cherish the "moments", not the "stuff"!! I know...lofty goals but it's a start!