But first the story of what happened to me this week that got me thinking about the entire subject...
Thursday afternoon I was leaving Wal-Mart (for the third time in two days). I was waiting to turn left at the stop sign and head on to my next errand. There was a homeless man on the corner with a sign asking for some help and that he was a veteran. Now this is not an unusual sight to see leaving Wal-Mart
But there was something about this man.
And then I realized, I had just left Wal-Mart for the third time in two days. I had probably spent a couple hundred dollars there in those three trips...and I was complaining about it.
All of a sudden I felt like such an ungrateful schmuck.
I had a three dollars just sitting in my purse, not even tucked away in my wallet. So I put down the window and gave it to him. He said "Thank you and God bless you"
I went on my way and he... well I have no idea what he did next. Did he buy alcohol with it? Did he buy his first meal all day? Did he go home to his nice house and think "that stupid lady"!
I don't know and really I don't care. That is his choice.
So the next day I was at Wal-Mart again (any one see a trend here?) returning something I had purchased during a previous visit. The lady at the register punched about a million buttons and it kept telling her she owed me $6.24--when actually she only owed me $3.50. After trying several times and still getting the same answer she finally said "Well, I guess it is your lucky day,you get three extra dollars."
Are the two situations related in anyway? I don't know but it sure made me smile to think that they were. :)
What do you do when you see someone on a corner or on the side of the road asking for help? I truly do not know the answer to my question, I don't think it is a black and white situation.
You see, my family and I just spent last Saturday at a homeless shelter in Sacramento--making donations, helping out, and visiting with the men there. It was a truly an eye-opening experience.
It got me thinking...I usually don't stop and give money to those on the side of the road. I guess I'd rather donate or help out through a reputable organization. Then I know that my funds are being spent in a responsible way. However, spiritually speaking, I don't think there's ever anything wrong with helping someone out no matter what the circumstance.
Last Saturday left me feeling so grateful and blessed! Most of all I was reminded that there are so many people who need so much and I have been so richly blessed---maybe with not as much money and material things as I may "wish" for, but most definitely rich in all the things that matter most!!
“Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did it to me.”
(Matthew 25:40)
May you be filled with the Spirit of Christmas and realize your blessings this time of year!
Hope, Love, Joy and Peace,