This week marks one year that I've been blogging.
I created this blog last summer as a way to share updates with long-distance family and friends about the kids, our day-to-day life and activities. I know kids have the habit of growing and changing daily! I love that my far away family, who don't get to see us as often, can click and read what new milestones Brendan is reaching. I love that my parents can click and read something funny that Andrew said at the dinner table. I love that my friends from all over can click and give me advice about my hair!
I discovered something in this past year of blogging, too. That writing this blog, and reading other friends blogs, has been an amazing source of support and validation to me. Being a wife and stay-at-home mom is often thankless, monotonous, emotionally exhausting and can be extremely isolating, especially for someone like me, who admittedly, is horrible at small talk. It's hard. And made even harder by the fact that I want so badly to do it all perfectly.
Blogging has helped me to learn some things, too. That besides the cute pictures or funny quotes, I sometimes have something worthwhile to say. That some of you find me creative, or funny, or enjoy reading my perspective of our life. I've learned that I don't have to be perfect. And that I don't have to pretend like my life, or my family, or my marriage is perfect. And that some of you enjoy reading my perspective in spite of that, or maybe because of it. I've learned that there are so many women, wives, mothers who are like me, who feel the same way, who get me.
If you've been reading for the past year, you know my blog is part scrapbook, part journal. You know I love my family, even if I find them frequently frustrating. You know that I find being a mom to be the hardest, most wonderful and rewarding experience I can ever imagine. You know that I love sharing the highlights (and maybe a few low points!) of this experience with you. If you've been reading for the past year, you've come to know this blog is like me: sometimes serious, sometimes funny, not always pleasant, but real and honest. Thanks for sharing this year with me.