Monday, February 8, 2010

Catherine's First Reconciliation

Today Catherine reached an important and special milestone in her Catholic education and journey of faith. Catherine, along with my 17 other 2nd graders who I have been preparing for this special day, celebrated the Sacrament of Reconciliation for the very first time.

It was very emotional for me, as these things always are. She wasn't nervous. She knew exactly what she wanted to confess. As she sat with the priest, Mike and I were beaming with pride. She said, "it was kind of scary but good." She had a big smile on her face when she was done.

This was a family celebration, so Mike, Alexander, Matthew and myself were also able to participate in the Sacrament.

Reconciliation is a beautiful, under-appreciated sacrament. We get to present ourselves to God as we really are -- faults and all -- in a very concrete, intentional way. Without this concrete way to confess, it's all too easy to minimize or sidestep our faults and failings. I can't speak for others, but I know that for myself, acknowledging my sins to God through the Church is a whole different experience than just acknowledging them in prayer. Sometimes I even come away with a smile, like Catherine did.

We were not permitted to take pictures during the service so I had to settle for a few snapshots after the celebration. We then enjoyed a special dinner out..Buca Di Beppo (Catherine's choice).

Catherine, we are so proud of you!!

May God's blessings be with you today and always.