Both Mike and I, along with the doctors had been holding out hope that this "problem" would correct itself with age. However, that didn't happen. At his 4 yr old check-up, we were referred to a specialist and after a few opinions, we decided to move forward with the surgery.
Andrew was such a champ throughout the entire process. Mike took the day off from work to stay home and hang out with Brendan. Andrew and I arrived at the hospital at 6:30am for a 9 am surgery (mind you, he was not allowed to eat or drink since 8pm the night before).
Although we had told Andrew all about what was going to happen, I am quite sure he had NO idea. Does this look like a nervous child?
He was LOVING all the attention from the nurses. Everyone thought he was so cute in his mini-hospital gown and special "non-slip" socks they gave him to wear.
All was good until they "attempted" to put the IV in his hand. Oh dear!! At that point, he was OVER IT and didn't care one bit about the doting nurses or loving mommy! He wanted OUT!!!
It was decided that he needed a "sedative" before the IV! I have to say, that was one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed in any of my children. Andrew went from a hysterical child to a "happy-drunk" 4 yr old. He had me in absolute stitches...telling jokes and making faces at me.I have to say, having the nurses put him on the gurney and wheel him off to surgery, pulled at my heart strings. Even though I knew he was "out of it", I was so afraid that he would wake up and be scared! I filled up with tears as they wheeled him off.
I went out to the waiting area (rosary beads in hand), said my prayers for him and the doctor and then had a lovely conversation with an older lady who was waiting for her husband to come out of surgery.
The procedure was supposed to take about 1 1/2 hours, it was almost 2 1/2 hours. I really began to worry. The lady who I was speaking to was so calming and reassuring to me. FINALLY the doctor came out and called me in to talk to her. She told me what the delay was all about. Apparently it was a lot worse then she had originally anticipated (although we had discussed that she would not be able to tell until she got in there).
I was then able to back and see him in the post operation room. He was still asleep and looked quite comfortable. NOT FOR LONG...as he came out of the anesthesia, he was NOT a happy camper. He was screaming, the nurse and I were trying to calm in down. I was worried that he was in pain but, in fact he was just freaking out about the IV in his arm. Once the IV was removed, he fell right back to sleep...
THANK YOU Aunt Barbara, Aunt Susan and Gram for the cookie basket and balloon. THANK YOU to Andrew's wonderful Godparents for my new book... "aye, aye mate!"
We had his post-surgery follow-up yesterday and all is good. He will be able to return to school next week and resume normal activity level with the next 2 weeks.
Well, I am relieved that Andrew's surgery was a success and it is now behind us. Moreover, I am so incredibly blessed to have 5 beautiful, healthy and wonderful children. God has given me so much to be thankful for!
We love you Andrew and hope to have you back to your spunky and active self real soon.
Keep Smiling little dude!