Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Resolutions for 2009!

I love New Year's Day.

I hate New Year's Eve...I'd rather go to bed at a reasonable hour and wake up fresh on one of my favorite days of the year. Always way too much build up for me!

I love making New Year's resolutions. It's a perfect opportunity to reevaluate where I am in my life vs. where I'd like to be (and where I should be). As I do every year, I recently wrote up my resolutions for 2009, and it was a great list of changes I would make and new habits I'd like to try to adopt.

This year, I have decided to make my kids write 2-3 resolutions of their own. I think I will then hang them in their bedrooms or on the refrigerator. I am sure if nothing else, they will make fun keepsakes... "Learn to read, to swim, to skateboard really awesome..." Is there nothing better in life than self-improvement and clean, fresh starts? I think not.

Anyways, I've been really thinking about what I want for the next year...and honestly my list of resolutions are all a bit too personal (even for me) to post on my blog. I mean, nothing earth-shattering or shocking, but just personal. One thing for sure, all of the things on my list will help bring more peace to me...both on the inside and out!

Ring in the New Year with Happiness!

Give up complaining . . . focus on gratitude.
Give up pessimism . . . become an optimist.
Give up harsh judgments . . . think kind thoughts.
Give up worry . . . trust divine providence.
Give up discouragement . . . be full of hope.
Give up bitterness . . . turn to forgiveness.
Give up hatred . . . return good for evil.
Give up negativism . . . be positive.
Give up anger . . . practice patience.
Give up pettiness . . . put on maturity.
Give up gloom. . . enjoy the beauty that is all around you.
Give up jealousy . . . pray for trust.
Give up gossiping . . . control your tongue.
Give up sin. . . . turn to virtue.

Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.
Judy Garland

A goal without a plan is just a wish.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

To will is to select a goal, determine a course of action that will bring one to that goal, and then hold to that action till the goal is reached. The key is action.
Michael Hanson
It's a new year, with new possibilities. Good luck with your resolutions!