I know what you’re thinking: “Why the heck is she writing about brussels sprouts”. But I just had to share with you what I am doing right now (well in about 5 minutes, after I finish this post). I am making a brussels sprouts dish to bring into Matthew's "winter class party" ...(god forbid we say "Christmas" party in our public school...might offend someone...but that is another thought, for another post). At any rate, the theme of this "winter party" is "favorite foods". Each child has been asked to bring in their favorite food for a winter feast. Matthew didn't even bat an eye, he said "Mom, can you PLEASE make your brussels sprouts?". I know he loves them, as does most of my entire family, extended family and friends, but bringing them into class with 30+ 9 year olds....I am not thinking they are going to be a big hit. I tried to encourage him to allow me to make my delicious mashed potatoes, or even some tasty green beans or a yummy appetizer...but NO...he wants me to make my brussels sprouts. So, not to disappoint, I have agreed!
When people tell me they don't like Brussels sprouts, my response it immediately that they are just cooking them wrong. I think children are taught to hate brussels sprouts before ever seeing what these mini cabbages even look like. I’m sure this stems from the days when we used to cook our vegetables for ungodly lengths of time, yielding green beans and asparagus so overcooked that you could turn them into bow ties. So needless to say, after decades of cooking brussels sprouts to death, their reputation has been duly tarnished. Like I said, my kids LOVE them. They get the strangest looks in the grocery store when they are begging me to buy them only to be disappointed when they aren't in season.
My family will eat them almost any way I prepare them, except over cooked and mushy. I steam them, roast them, sautee them, bake them, shave them (hash-like) and the most favorite way is my FAMOUS Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pistachios! Yummy!!
So, Brussels Sprout season is coming to an end, so I wanted to give them a little tribute since we love them so much. I know they have a pretty bad reputation out there. I encourage you to "Google" recipes for these little green gems. There a lots of recipes out on the net targeting people who hate Brussels Sprouts. Just to get you started, here I am to give you the Gordon Family favorite brussels sprout recipe! Add it to your Christmas dinner. You will not be disappointed!!
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pistachios (Serves 8)
INGREDIENTS
4 pounds Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 small red onions, cut into strips
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons white sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
DIRECTIONS
Place Brussels sprouts in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover saucepan and steam 8-10 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender yet crisp.
Melt the butter in a deep skillet, add the onions and 3 tablespoons vinegar; cook until onions brown.
Add the Brussels sprouts, sugar and remaining vinegar. Saute over medium heat until the Brussels sprouts are lightly caramelized.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with pistachios.
4 pounds Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 small red onions, cut into strips
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons white sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
DIRECTIONS
Place Brussels sprouts in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover saucepan and steam 8-10 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender yet crisp.
Melt the butter in a deep skillet, add the onions and 3 tablespoons vinegar; cook until onions brown.
Add the Brussels sprouts, sugar and remaining vinegar. Saute over medium heat until the Brussels sprouts are lightly caramelized.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with pistachios.
ENJOY!!