-Take 1-
Oh man... it's Friday already? I'm starting to feel all the days blurring past me. It seems like Friday comes around more quickly since I've started this Friday posting tradition. I can't believe I have to come up with another set of seven intelligent or interesting or at least semi-funny things already! Still, anything that makes Friday come faster is welcome here.-Take 2-
After church last Sunday, we were all walking to the car. As we approached the car, Andrew (3 yrs. old), yelled out "I CALL SHOTGUN". Too funny!-Take 3-
Since Mike has been on Weight Watchers for over a month now. he has seen great results in weight loss department. However, there have been some other interesting developments. 1) In a way, we are actually eating better - I mean taste-wise. I have to make almost everything from scratch, and we all know homemade always tastes better, well, most of the time. Also, I've started using better, fresher ingredients to help boost flavor. 2) My love for cooking is getting a great outlet. I like trying new recipes, but didn't often do so in the past. Now I have to try new foods and remake old favorites. I'm loving the challenge. 3) The kids ask how many points everything is before we eat anything. They don't exactly understand the point system, but they know it is important.-Take 4-
I am leaving on a jet plane.....well, not really....actually a bus. One week from today, I will be in Los Angeles for a conference with other members from my parish. As crazy as it sounds, I am so looking forward to the bus ride down and back...no kids, books, iPod, sleep..Ahhhhh! I'm going to enjoy my time away from home. No dishes, no laundry, no diapers and a HOTEL!! I adore all five kids and I love my husband. And this isn't quite the break I'd really like to have, but I'm thinking it will be nice. And I'll really love seeing them all tucked in bed when I arrive back home next Sunday night/Monday morning at 1am. I am especially going to miss Brendan (sorry Mike)- but oh boy, it will be sweet to come home again.-Take 5-
It bothers me the way many kids call adults by their first names, often at the prompting of the adults themselves. I realize this makes me a fuddy-duddy, but so be it.Growing up, we always called adults by their title as a sign of respect: Mrs. Smith, Mr. Johnson, etc . . . It has been my experience lately that a lot of adults encourage children to call them by their first names, as if they are buddies they would greet in the schoolyard. "Oh don't call me Mrs. Smith! That's my mother-in-law! Call me Suzy, honey."
Suzy (a completely fictitious woman, by the way), I think you're great and my kids think you are great, but they are not your peers. They will call you Mrs. Smith, despite the fact that that is also your mother-in-law's name. It teaches them to respect you, and I know that when other people's children call me "Mrs. Gordon" I act more like the responsible adult they are counting on me to be
-Take 6-
Baseball and softball season is upon us. Alexander and Matthew got drafted to the AAA division this year and are on the Mets. Catherine will be playing girls softball for her 2nd year and moving up to the "U8" division. This is a busy time of the year with lots of hours spent at the baseball fields. -Take 7-
Lent is just around the corner - next week, in fact! I still need to figure out what I am going to "give up". I'm contemplating a few things based on what my spiritual needs are. I think I'll be doing something to bring more silence into my life. I wonder what Mike and the kids will decide to give-up? As for Mike, he will have to be creative. He is already on Weight Watchers and has given up many things already...well at least food/drink things. We will kick off our Lenten Season with a MardiGras potluck and prayer service at out parish next Tuesday night, then the early 6:30am Ash Wednesday mass before work and school.Have a blessed weekend!