Thursday, April 16, 2009

Age Gaps are Hard...

It has been a busy week (nothing new) and I am in still in the process of cleaning up and organizing from our vacation. In the midst of all the busyness I have been thinking about something my sister said to me as we waited at baggage claim last Saturday. I was standing next to the 2 strollers (Andrew in one, Brendan in the other). The bigger kids were standing with Mike waiting to help in with all of the luggage. My sister turns to me and says, "It's so weird to me that you have these 2 little guys and then you have the other 3 older ones" (she said something like that.). Believe me, it is something I have thought to myself MANY TIMES.

I don't have many friends that have big age gaps in their children (maybe because I don't know too many people with 5 children). I have to say, having a big age gap is hard. I know that it's not easy having 3 or 4 or 5 kids right in a row, all little at once, dealing with diapers and bed times and Goldfish crackers, strollers and car seats. But I also find it perhaps even harder to deal with attitudes, Ipod downloads, keeping track of who their hanging out with, movie ratings, what video games their "friends" are allowed to play, etc...all the time also dealing with diapers, car seats, strollers, and Goldfish crackers.

I find it so much more mentally and physically draining...there is NO down time...you don't put the kids to bed at 7:00 anymore and settle down with a good book or TV show. I am "putting" kids to bed from 7:00 to 1o:00 p.m., all the while dealing with a fussy 18 month old, an exhausted 3 year old (who hasn't napped in months) that needs his routine of bath and book and 3 kids who may have missed a dinner from a softball or baseball practice and needing help with homework ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

It's exhausting. I'm not complaining, I am grateful for all of my children and for the different times God placed each of them in our family. It can be a bit lonely at times (from a friendship prospective) and a bit all consuming!

Positive aspects of the age gap...well, let's say I am looking forward to Alexander and Matthew getting old enough to stay home with the younger ones so that and I can run to the store or go pick up the other kids from wherever, without dragging the little guys with me every time I step foot out of the house!