Twelve years ago this weekend, I had so much joy in my heart seeing my husband come into the Catholic Church. You may not know but Mike was NOT raised Catholic. In fact, he was not raised with much "faith/religion" at all.
Today, Easter Sunday, has me thinking about being Catholic. I've always been Catholic... But I haven't always felt "blessed" to be so. On this beautiful Easter morning, I am feeling so blessed to be married to someone who believes what I believe. I know that there was a time in my life that I just thought love was enough. Of course it does mean a lot, but the connectedness (is that even a word?) is so, SO much greater when there is a common faith joining husband and wife together.
Having married someone who did not originally share my faith challenged me to think about why my being Catholic was so important to me. In the beginning stages of Mikes journey to the Catholic faith, I didn't feel like I had much to offer, other than just me being a Catholic. It was all I knew and I did certain things because that's what I was always taught. It never occurred to me to do otherwise... But Mike wasn't going to let me off that easily... imagine that!! ; )The more he questioned me, the more I questioned myself... I went to Mass every week, why? I said the rosary, why?... I prayed to the saints, why?... I received communion every week and at every mass, why?... I went to confession, why?... why couldn't I just go directly to God? It was nothing short of a series of God's miracles and grace that gave me the answers that I/we sought.
So, today I am just so thankful and blessed for the challenges that God placed before me. I believe that even though it was sometimes very difficult to not share common feelings with Mike on matters of faith, it was a challenge and a blessing for me to have the opportunity to learn MORE.. to understand BETTER... I feel it would have been much easier to remain complacent had I not been challenged... I think it may be why so many cradle Catholics don't really know their Faith.... They may stay out of habit or obligation, feeling as I did, or they may stop practicing altogether or end up leaving for another church.
Happy 12th anniversary Mike! I want you to know that I do not underestimate the supreme gift of your becoming Catholic and being my partner in this faith journey. You are a good man-maybe the best person I know. I am so happy to have your partnership and leadership in teaching, leading and raising our children in the faith!