This past year was probably the least motivated that I have been in terms of exercise in quite some time. Prior to having Brendan (#5) I went to the gym pretty regularly (3-5 days week) ... never letting more than 1 week (or 2) slip on by. I would certainly feel those missed days, but I would regain pretty quickly.
2007-2008...Brendan was born...Andrew was 2 yrs old..Catherine was in half-day kindergarten and Alexander and Matthew were in 3rd grade (hardest school year for them up to that point)...things were busy and chaotic. Exercise excuses started. Exercise DID NOT HAPPEN.
Besides the physical effects of not exercising, I have started to notice the emotional/mental effects. I NEED to exercise. I NEED the stress relief. I NEED the little time alone. For months I have been telling myself that "this is going to be the week that I will begin exercising again". The weeks came and went and very little regular exercise occurred. So, this past week I have made some new goals for myself. I have put exercise on my calendar and I have vowed to myself that I will make it happen more than just saying "I will try to". I made it to the gym 2 times last week (not great, but better than nothing). It felt good to just be there, but I tell you, I CAN FEEL THAT I AM OUT OF SHAPE. My muscles are sore and it is pretty depressing to realize that I have lost so much strength and tone. I KNOW IT WILL GET BETTER. I just need to be consistent and push myself a little.
In hopes of staying motivated and accountable, I have added a side-bar to my blog (on the left) where I will post my weekly exercise...that I COMPLETED. Since I have now put it out there that I AM GOING TO EXERCISE REGULARLY, it will be good for me to stay accountable (if to no one else but myself). Hey, I want to be a HOTTIE by the time I am 40! The clock is ticking and I would love to be able to say that "I am in better shape at 40 than I was at 20!".
I believe that you are never too old to start "working out". I love that my gym is a family place. Of course we have our occasional person who probably lives at the gym and many "moms" who are in amazing shape, but most of the people are just there to get healthy. I see young kids, moms, dads, singles, and plenty of over 65 people. This is definitely one of the positives of living where I live now. I like that I can go to a gym and not feel intimidated. The facility is an incredible state of the art one ... believe me we recognize this when we get our family monthly bill. I have lived other places and belonged to other gyms that I just never felt like I could fit in. The people at these places were typically all 20 something, in super shape, and dressed to the T in all the latest workout fashions. I am just a regular mom who is trying to be healthy, be fit, and have energy to chase my children around.