Monday, August 11, 2008

Living vicariously through my children


Some of you may know (but not many, because if I say it, it means that I may actually have to do it), but I would LOVE to someday (actually by the time I am 40..tick-tock)..complete a triathlon. I am not talking about an IronMan or even an Olympic distance. I would be happy to just be able to complete a "sprint distance". At any rate, that may or may not happen. For now however, I am just living through the abilities of my children and I am pleased to tell you that yesterday Alexander, Matthew and Catherine completed the California Kids Triathlon in Woodland CA. It was Alexander and Matthew's 4th Triathlon and Catherine's 3rd. As usual. they did great and had so much fun.

The boys competed in the 9-10 year old division which meant that they had to complete a 75 yard swim (3 laps), a 2 mile bike ride and a 1.5 mile run. This was their first year competing with the 9-1o yr. olds and it proved to be a bit more challenging then in years past. Although they "trained" over the summer. the increase distances were more than they expected. Overall they did great and most importantly they finished all in one piece without any major issues.

Catherine competed in the 6 and under division. Her race included a 25 yard swim (1 lap), a 1/2 mile bike ride and a 1/4 run. She was bound and determined to breeze through and leave her opponents in her dust. Well, that is exactly what she did. In fact, our little "Pookie" finished 4th overall in her age group (out of 92 participants). GREAT JOB SISTER!

The whole experience is always a bit hectic. It complicates matters that we have Andrew and Brendan in tow. There are thousands of people all around the venue. The stroller and all the "stuff" make it difficult to get from one viewing area to the next, trying to catch a glimpse of the kids as they complete each event. I completely failed in the picture taking this year. I could barely keep track of Andrew running in every which direction. In fact, he did wander off at one point and I completely panicked. Mike was helping Catherine in the "transition area" and I was trying to get some video. Next thing I know, Andrew is no where in sight. They made an overhead announcement that they had a little boy asking for his dad. Andrew had wandered right up to the pool announcer and was completely calm, enjoying the birds-eye view of the swimming event. Ohhhhh, I aged a few years! Needless to say, I retired the camera and the camcorder and decided to keep track of my little guys. I am hoping the event photographer's got some good shots of the kids as they competed.

Congratulations Alexander, Matthew and Catherine. You did a great job and Mom and Dad are so proud of you. Keep up the love for exercise and competing. It will do you well in life!
I can only hope to make a serious commitment to get out there and give it a try! Perhaps I can get some training tips from my kiddos!

Alexander and Matthew getting ready to enter the pool and begin their race.

YEAH!! WE DID IT!!

(can't you tell by the looks on their face that is what they are saying?!)

Catherine's turn to show her stuff!

Here is our SUPERSTAR. You rock Pookie!