Friday, August 22, 2008

The Trying Threes


With all of my children, I have found the age of two to be fairly uneventful. We don't have the standard "terrible twos" here. Two year olds are still cute and cuddly in our house. But as they edge closer to their third birthday, something overcomes them. And by three, they are asserting their independence rather loudly. I never remember this and I act all surprised when these crazy behaviors start happening. You'd think I'd know by now. It's happening to my sweet Andrew. He'll be three in a few weeks. He stopped taking naps and likes to scream...a lot. And yesterday, he managed to almost shut down an entire Target store when he wandered away from me to look at some balls (which were several 100 yards from where I was originally). It has been especially hard for me because, Brendan is just getting to that age (he is 1 now) that he needs more of my attention (hence the "mohawk" incident). Andrew has been in meltdown central almost everyday for the last 2 weeks. What doesn't help is when you yell at him, he immediately dissolves into tears. All I have to do is say, "ANDREW JOHN", in that certain tone and it makes him wail...loudly...VERY loudly. I can take comfort in knowing that this passes rather quickly. Well for most kids. In Alexander and Matthew's case I kept saying, "Age 4 will be better." "Five year olds don't do this, right?" Maybe six will be their year?" and now, "They can't still be doing this at almost 10, can they?" LOL! If anyone is going to be like the boys, it's Andrew. So I suppose I better buckle in for the ride!!