The feast of St. Monica is today, August 27th. Most people know the story of how St. Monica's perseverance and faith helped to bring about the miraculous conversion of her son, St. Augustine. St. Monica is remembered as an example of patience and perseverance in prayer. Through her constant prayer, her pagan husband became a Christian before his death, and her son, St. Augustine, became one of the greatest saints of the Church. St. Monica also happens to be my confirmation saint. That decision was made back in 1986 when I was in the 10th grade. As confirmation students, we were encouraged to choose a saint that had special significance in our life or one that we felt exemplified the kind of life we were trying to live. I remember getting mixed feelings from my family about my choice in names. My mom was hoping I would choose "Helen" after her mother, but being the "cool" high school kid that I was, it just wasn't a "pretty" enough name. I was also in a bit of a "I want to to it my way" stage and I was going to pick a name that I liked. (BTW, my mom held out hope that my sister would choose Helen for her Confirmation name...NOT. She then held out hope that we would then name one of her grandchildren Helen...11 grandchildren later...NO Helen. Sorry mom, we still love ya)
After doing a little research (pre-internet). I think I actually had to leave my house and go to the LIBRARY of all places. I came across St. Monica and I was drawn to her dedicated, persistent and devoted character. I saw qualities in her that I believed were at my core. As soon as I made the decision to choose her, I was certain that she was the perfect saint for me, and I felt like she was watching over me. I knew that her character and life would be a good compass for my own life. (Never knowing at the time that I would be a wife and mother to 5 children and would need to call on St Monica to intercede for me on numerous occasions). Funny how God has his hand in our plans long before we even know how things are going to turn out! I have always wondered if we really pick our patrons or if we get a nudge from that saint who has already picked us first.
Despite all the ups and downs and struggles in my life, despite my motherly concerns for my children, I must remember to entrust them to God and His saints. He is far more capable of dealing with these things than I am. And, I pray St. Monica will intercede for me and help to make me a half-way decent wife and mom and protect my children my family. Like St. Monica, we must keep praying and always remember the words of Jesus:
"Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened."
(Mt. 6:7)
Saint Monica, you showed how powerful prayer can be. Help me to be patient in my prayers and secure in the knowledge that God's will is being done.