This award is always a surprise to the student. Although as the students enter the Multi-purpose Room, they usually check out the faces of the parents seated in the back (with cameras in hand) and once they spot you, the surprise is over.
(Matthew was onto me since Alexander had already been chosen earlier in the school year, and Catherine's grade level attends a different assembly).
This month the character trait was "friendship". The teachers pick one student from each class that exemplify this value and they write a short paragraph that is read by the Principal to the entire assembly. Here is what Matthew's teacher had to say about him:
I chose Matthew to be our Husky of the Month for Friendship because I think everyone would agree that this kid knows what it means to be a true and honest friend. He earns a lot of respect from both peers and adults on campus. Matthew includes everyone and makes people feel good about themselves. He carries a ton of positive energy and can frequently be heard voicing words of encouragement to his peers. I think that is one of the things that makes him so likeable! Matthew is one of those kids who will easily make friends wherever he goes in life. I am very lucky to be his teacher!
(written by Mrs. Stulken, 5th grade).
As always Matthew, you continue to make your family very proud. Keep being the awesome person that you are! We love you.