Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Discipline

Although I haven't written anything about it, I have been working hard on my "one word:" for 2010: DISCIPLINE. After a couple months now, I have determined that this picking a word has been a great thing for me, but it is just too vague for an entire year. So, I have now decided that I will focus on different things to be "disciplined" about each month. This way I can actually see if I am making progress in being "disciplined"and not become overwhelmed with all I wanted to be "disciplined" about this year.

I mean, seriously, you can't call it "discipline" if you're jumping from one thing to the next as we tend to do as mothers. So, from here on out, I will report on my monthly "disciplines". Because for some reason if I post about it, it makes me more accountable.

My March focus is LAUNDRY. I know, call me crazy...there are MUCH more important things to focus on than laundry of all things. But laundry is my most dreaded household task, and a large part of what I want to be disciplined about this year is becoming a more efficient mother. And part of invloves being more disciplined about my responsibilities as a SAHM too. This is my day (and night) job and I want to do it well. That means I better sure as heck be able to do a little laundry like a professional~whatever that means!

Sure, I can do laundry. I've been very "laundry-capable" since my early teenage years. But now doing laundry for seven has me a bit overwhelmed. I want just want a "system" that works. I just don't have a good system for getting the loads folded and folded and put right away in the same day....which leads to days of folded laundry piling up.

I also need to figure out a system for the kids to do their own. They help me fold and sort socks when they're around, and yes, like many other things it's much easier to do on my own. But Alexander and Matthew are totally old enough and I need to get them going.

I am already planning for what I want to be disciplined about in the coming months. In April I will focus on FAMILY MEALS and in May, most likely SPIRITUALITY. After than, I will have to see what is going on in my life. EXERCISE is a discipline that I must work on regardless of the day, week month or year! I don't get off the hook on that one!

For now I must go finish folding laundry!