It's no secret, I have voted for McCain/Palin and I am HAPPY with my choices. I voted knowing very well what was important for me and my family. At dinner last night, Matthew and Alexander asked me if I was going to be sad if McCain doesn't win. They equated it to how they felt when the Patriots lost the Superbowl last year (a bit emotional in our house). As disappointed as I will be if Obama is elected, I had to explain to them that regardless of which way the election ends up, we are going to have a new president. Some people will be pleased, and some people won't. I went onto explain that with either candidate in the White House our responsibilities will not change much. We still need to pray for our leaders and work at making our country better...even in our little bubble in Roseville, CA. I told them, that aside from casting my vote, at this point there is little we can do . At the end of the day today we will all be left with the task of living in this world and doing the best we can with it.
In the light of all this election "stuff", I am reminded of this past Sunday's second reading where it said "hope does not disappoint,"(Rom 5:5-11). So. for my part, I plan on moving on with a spirit of hope...regardless of the outcome.
There is one thing that I am quite happy about and that is my kids know more about this election and the issues than I ever did at their age (or even embarrassingly so at 18). I am pleased at their interest and their level of understanding. In addition, individual values set aside, this election is so important, for reasons far bigger than who wins or loses. My kids are having their very first real exposure to a presidential election and they are seeing a black man and a woman V.P candidate on the ticket. In their world, this will ALWAYS have been possible. Pretty amazing!
Never under-estimate the ability of a child to keep you on your toes. As I was tucking the boys into bed last night they reminded me that McCain could still win and "it's not over til it's over...remember Mom, that's what you always tell us about sports...that's why we play the game!" So, I am still hopeful and in the meantime nothing says "democracy" like a free cup of coffee, donut, or ice cream cone. (Thanks Starbucks, Ben & Jerry's and Krispy Kreme).
Now go vote, my friends. It's a very big day.