Lately I have been feeling like I just can't keep up with things...mainly keeping my house clean and picked-up. I feel like Cinderella minus the Fairy Godmother. I have six clutter bugs leaving their "droppings" in every room of the house (yes, 6...Mike is included). I am growing so tired of feeling like all I do is clean and straighten. In addition, I have discovered (or finally accepted the reality) that Matthew and Alexander have a hatred for hard labor, or labor of any kind. I have grown increasingly bothered by this fact and I have come to the conclusion that it mainly my own fault and I really need to "'unspoil" them (especially before their attitudes start rubbing off on their younger sister and brothers). They are not asked to do much around the house, but I think it is time they start. I believe that one of the responsibilities of being in a family means that you need to help out with the many chores that need to get accomplished on a regular and on-going basis. I just haven't been very good about implementing my belief system.....until now!!!
Meet the new Jen!!
I have had to let go off the idea that "it's just easier to do it all myself." My mom has always encourged me to get the kids helping with chores at an early age. I have tried many different systems, but have always reverted back my old way of thinking and end up just doing it all myself. Well, no more of that thinking. Also, I need to remember that more than just having the kids help with chores, it is my responsibility as their mom to teach them good work ethics and to help them learn how to do things that are necessary for their survival later in life. Their independence is my goal!
I have found that there are all sorts of cute and complicated chore charts out there. I've tried all sorts of different systems. I reverted right back to the one my mom used when we were growing up. A piece of paper hanging on the fridge every Saturday, listing jobs to be done by each child. I came up with around 15 jobs that I just can't get to during the week . I put them into groups of 4-5 as fairly as possible and alternate them week by week. Anyways, before they do anything on Saturday, they have to get their jobs done. I realize now that this system should have been in place for years, regardless of whether I needed the help or not. And oh yeah, no allowance is given for thier chores...it's just part thier room and board!
There are many benefits to my new system: Obviously, I get a clean(er) house! I am more relaxed during the week knowing that on Saturday my cleaning crew will arrive. I feel less resentful too...like I am not just the one person who does all the "crap" work around here and people take advantage of. They learn how to clean!...I refuse to hand off my boys to their wives with them not knowing how to vacuum or fold laundry or scrub toilets. It gives our Saturday's a little more structure and routine. It might also motivate them to not spit so much toothpaste out around the sink if they are the ones that have to scrape it off!
My mom obviously knew all this for years, because we consistently had Saturday jobs since before I could remember. It took me a little longer to catch on. You should always listen to your mother. Some Saturdays I will add 3 bigger jobs (like outside stuff) that they will be allowed to pick from...first come, first serve. (Early bird gets the worm!). Andrew, being only three, gets 1 or 2 jobs, usually ones that involve squirting Windex. I have also made a very strict rule, that I am sure will take a couple of Saturdays to catch on: NO complaining. If you complain, you get an extra job. I need to keep my foot down, and be consistent, with the hope they give up with the griping. I have had to teach them how to do certain jobs...which at first has been more work, but I am hoping it will be worth it in the end. I have to keep reminding myself that not every job will be done to my standard. I will learn to close my mouth and praise them for the help (unless it looks like laziness and then I will make them do it over).
Who needs a cleaning lady...just have more kids!