Thursday, November 20, 2008

Top Ten Reasons We Love Visiting Nana & Pop

We just returned from a few days down in Carmel visiting my mom and dad (aka Nana & Pop). It was a nice escape for me since the kids are off from school for 2 weeks. Also, Mike was in Boston, soccer and football season are over and it had been too long since I got some clean ocean air into my bones! We had a great time (minus a few disasters...to be mentioned after all the good stuff). Here are a list of why we loved our time in Carmel.

1. Swimming. The Monterey Sports Center has a great indoor pool with a large water slide. This is always a number #1 priority for the kids. We aren't usually in town more than a few minutes before they start asking about when they can go to the pool. It's always a lot of fun.
2. Dennis The Menace Park. This is the best park for the little ones and the big ones too. The best part about our visit this time was that we were there on a weekday and the park was empty (as most kids are in school). Usually we are there on a Saturday or Sunday when it is super crowded and difficult to keep track of all the kids. 3. Movies. Since Mom and Dad were available to watch Brendan, the other kids and I escaped for a morning matinee (still cost me $35). We don't get to see many movies in the theater because of the little ones. We saw Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. It was Andrew's first movie theater experience and he did very well. Alexander and Matthew reminded me that it was actually his 2nd movie theater experience...we saw the first Madagascar movie when I was 7 months pregnant with him. 4. The Monterey Bay Aquarium. We love The Aquarium and we love the fact that Nana and Pop have a family membership. Each time we visit we get a chance to go The Aquarium and check out all the new exhibits...FREE!! The kids never get bored with The Aquarium. I love it because there is no pressure to stay for the entire day to "get our money worth". We can stay for a short while and if we want to go back again the next day...we can. Thanks again Mom and Dad! 5. Not Cooking. I enjoy cooking, but I also enjoy NOT cooking sometimes. Mom and Dad are always SHOCKED at how much food my clan consumes!

6. Free babysitting. There are no better babysitters than Nana and Pop. Even though I don't have the opportunity to use them often, I was able to escape (ALONE) to have lunch with my dear friend Liz. Thanks Mom and Dad!

7. Jumping off Nana and Pops high counter top. This is not only a favorite activity for the little ones but a long standing grandchild tradition. The older kids are always disappointed when they are too big for Pop to catch them.
8. Girl time with Nana. Given the fact that Catherine is outnumbered by the boys in this family, Nana always makes special "girl time" for Catherine. This time, while I was out to lunch, Nana gave Catherine a very special manicure and pedicure. Catherine got the royal treatment....she even got her legs wrapped in moist heated towels! LUCKY GIRL.

9. It's Carmel. Really, what else is there to say? I never quite appreciated the area when I lived there, but being able to visit really brings home the beauty and all the area has to offer.
10. Generally spoiled. With things like chocolate milk, desserts, big pretzels, special breakfasts made by Pop and whip-cream squirted in mouths from Nana, no bed times and . . . .you get the idea. We crammed a lot of activity into 3 days. I always wish we could stay longer but life at home and commitments call! Actually, I'm pooped! It was nice to crawl into my own bed last night and get the kids into theirs. Thanks Mom and Dad for having us. Can't wait to see you again at Christmas!

OK, so the NOT SO GREAT things that happened while we were in Carmel...(the short and sweet version)...
1. I got a SPEEDING TICKET on the drive down (Errrrrrrrrr-only 10 minutes from my parents house).
2. I FORGOT my suitcase. Yep, left it all packed and zipped at the front door. Yes, the kids had everything they needed and MORE!
3. I unknowingly washed a load of my kids clothes (whites) with a RED blanket (I didn't realize it was already in the washing machine. Now...white clothes are now PINK! After numerous washes, bleaching and soaking...no luck...STILL PINK!!
4. Brendan and Andrew decided that 4:45am was a good time to wake up EACH MORNING!!! Alexander, Matthew and Catherine joined the fun by 6am!


What more can I say?