Thursday, November 13, 2008

Non-Techno Me!

A couple months ago I realized how far behind I was in this great new techno world (even that phrase really bugs me) when I had to have my neighbor teach me how to do "things". (like work my scanner). We are not talking fancy things...I never got that far in my tutorial on the computer. I have a pretty nice digital camera and I just use the most basic features...maybe 10 percent of what it can do. We spent bought a new video camera right before Andrew was born...I barely use it. The manual is huge! I don't have time for that. One day my kids will be mad at me when they compare how much footage they have with the average American child. (We're talking 30 minutes each, if they are lucky...except Brendan who has about 30 seconds thanks to being child #5.) (As a side note, why do parents tape so many boring things? Like an ENTIRE soccer game, or the awards ceremony where their child received a certificate for a good drawing? Isn't seeing all that once enough? How bored do you have to be to watch it all over again?) I have started this blog by myself!!! and I have some pictures saved on the computer, but I don't know how to organize them and put them into folders and I'm sure one day the whole thing will crash or get too loaded up or spill over into something...see, I don't even know what I'm talking about. Don't get me wrong, the convenience of it all is very nice at times. I appreciate being able to stay in touch with old friends via e-mail and Facebook. But, I swear I sometimes daydream about how great it would be to have our old avocado green rotary phone we had when we were kids back on the wall...we'd never lose it or the battery would never die in the middle of a conversation. No call waiting or answering machines. No Wii, 6 channels on the TV (got forbid, having to actually get up to change the channel), and Little House on the Prairie on Friday night. No VCR's or DVR's to watch garbage movies and brainless TV. Oh the great olden days! No complicated manuals or demands from the outside world. No kids begging to play brain-rotting video games. No spending your time blogging when the laundry needs to be folded!