Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Dreaded Game Snacks


I just want to write about something that bugs me.

It's the Snack/Drink thing with the kids sports. How every parent takes a turn at bringing a snack and drink so the kids have something during/after the game . There is always a parent who is needed to coordinate this highly important detail of the season.
Reasons for being bugged:

1. How did this phenomena start? We all survived without "snacks and drinks" in the olden days. Remember 3 meals a day and an after school snack? You thirsty? See that water fountain over there? So what insane parent decided that the kids need to have a snack and juice after playing a sport for an hour? How did this catch on? I have an idea....one mom brought one once, then the other moms said "Are we supposed to be doing this too? Should we all take turns so she doesn't get mad? Can I make mine better than hers?" Thus the birth of another crazy parenting rule sweeping the nation.

2. Can't the kids just wait till they get home? I doubt very much they'll pass out from over-exertion/starvation/malnourishment. This is the USA after all. Seems like we seem to be having a little problem with food.

3. Why do I want to spend $20+ feeding your kids?

4. Isn't eating a Rice Krispie Treat/Fruit Roll-Up/Little Debbie Snack Cake + Capri Sun defeating the whole purpose of what your little sweetie-pie just sweated his butt off for?

5. Why set eachother up for one more parental failure (and trust me on this one...it's at the top of the list) for forgetting something else? Didn't I just manage to get him/her dressed right (getting soccer socks over shinguards is not an easy feat-no pun intended), with the right equipment, to the right field, at the right time, with a bunch of bored siblings in tow? Please don't ask one more thing of me. BUT:

Of course, I'll do it. I wrote the day in HUGE RED LETTERS on my calendar so I don't forget. I even get an e-mail reminding me. I read how many I'm supposed to bring and I am reminded how "snacks are a very important part of each game and it's something the kids look forward to after playing hard!"

I also got the second e-mail about the kid who has peanut, coconut, sesame and shellfish allergies so please make sure none of those ingredients are present. Darn, there goes my snack idea: skewered shrimp in a tangy peanut sauce with a toasted coconut/sesame seed coating!

There's always next season!