I woke up this morning to find my Yes on Proposition 8 sign had been vandalized along with my entire neighborhood. It was so disturbing as I drove my kids to school to have to look at sign after sign spray-painted with "NO". It was disturbing that I had to explain this act to my young children. I have explained to them our reasons why we support Yes on 8 and in their very young, untainted and black and white thinking...they get it. What they don't get is why someone would come onto our property and destroy something that belongs to us. It has left a pit in my stomach all morning.
For those of you who may be reading this and are not familiar with the Proposition in which I am referring, here is the basics...Yes on Prop 8 would overturn the California supreme court decision legalizing gay marriage in this state and the mandated school curriculum's that will teach gay relationships to elementary students (e.g. Our Kids). You can read more about it a http://www.protectmarriage.com/
At this point I leaving the sign in place..just as it is, for a couple of reasons. First, this sign was in my yard, untouched, for 2 weeks. Now everyone who drives by my home will know my sign was vandalized. Second, I hope the perpetrator looks at it every day, and has guilt over what a stupid and moronic thing it is to do to vandalize on political views.
I know this happens...on both sides of the issue and on varying issues, but it has happened to me personally. It has only sparked my passion to VOTE. Because VOTING is the only passion that really matters.