
How many days till November 4?
This election has pitted neighbor against neighbor in my sweet little neighborhood. Every other house has a different sign in the yard. Back and forth, up and down...a pattern is forming.
I am beginning to feel nervous about the outcome of this election (not that MSNBC hasn't contributed to my feelings). I'm not one for wavering. It's what I do worse. I get nervous, anxious and unsettled without a plan. I like to know things FOR SURE. I feel like there is so much hanging in limbo right now...the stock market, the future leadership of our country and the education of our children.
Oh, don't gloat and think I am wavering or that you had anything to do with it. I've got a mind of my own. It's full of needless information, like who needs to be picked up when and what I should make for dinner tonight. The last couple months I've had to find space in this brain of mine not only for that trivial and completely necessary information, but also for the intricacies of issues and debates and opinions. In other words, I'm trying to be a really good mom, and with 5 kids, that leaves me about 30 seconds a day for quiet thinking, reading and research time.
Nevertheless, I will fill out my absentee ballot with a heavy heart (yes, absentee..like I have time to go to a voting booth with 5 kids in tow). I will feel a little excitement, pride and surge of power when I drop my ballot in the mail, but will try remain detached as to protect myself against any disappointment when watching the news that night. I don't like even the possibility of losing. Who does?
I hate that everything is so complicated. One issue effects another issue which effects another issue...the bigger picture is so important but to really understand the bigger picture you need a doctorate in history, finance, religion, sociology and law. I want to vote intelligently...not vote the way my neighbors are, or the way the Hollywood movie stars tell me to or for that matter, the way my husband or family is choosing to vote.
.
So for the next 12 days, I'm going to be gathering my information CAREFULLY. And although I do have a sign in my front yard (along with soccer balls and scooters), I feel confidant that I have declared my loyalty. The rest is out of my hands. I will have done my job.
So for the next 12 days, I'm going to be gathering my information CAREFULLY. And although I do have a sign in my front yard (along with soccer balls and scooters), I feel confidant that I have declared my loyalty. The rest is out of my hands. I will have done my job.