Catherine and her 1st grade teacher-Mrs. YunkCatherine was chosen as "Student of the Month" at school. This is always a suprise for the students...parents are invited to the awards assembly secretly. It is always very exciting since they only choose one student from each class per month. Each month the teachers watch for students who demonstrate a certain attribute and this month it was for kids who showed "cooperation". We were invited to the special assembly where they honored Catherine as well as other students who received the same honor. Each student is given a nice certificate, a "free meal coupon" at the local Mimi's Cafe and they get a special photo taken of them by a photographer.
Now, don't misunderstand me, we are always proud of Catherine for her hard work at school and are so happy that she could be recognized for her efforts....(here comes the "but")...BUT, COOPERATION! Plueeze!
-
I am not even kidding when I say, I don't know how many people (parents, teachers, playground aides) stopped me to say something absolutely wonderful about dear little Catherine. The principal even came up to me and started raving about Catherine. Some of their exact comments were....."If we could clone a student to fill a whole school it would be one exactly like Catherine." "Your daughter is so responsible, respectful and hardworking. "She is like a little mother, always taking care of everyone around her". "She is always more than willing to help other students or teachers". This went on for literally over 2 hours (I stayed after to help in her classroom). It was a really proud moment for me and also quite a SHOCKING. Why, you ask? Well, I will tell you why.....
I know that Catherine is a very good student and always has been because that is evident in her progress reports and grades. What I always wonder about is her citizenship because at home Catherine can at times be a little difficult (to put it lightly). She does not like to hear the word NO. She also thinks that anything that goes wrong is anyones fault but her own. And in terms of "cooperation", well not exactly the star example of that! I always say that God knew what he was doing giving me 4 boys. I am not sure I could handle another girl like Catherine. Again, don't get me wrong, she is the most caring, most responsible, sweet little girl you will ever meet....just not at home. I love her more than I can express but I have always worried a little bit about the "cooperation thing".
-
So, what I am starting to learn is that there is a HOME Catherine and a SCHOOL or ANYWHERE ELSE Catherine. I guess we taught her something good somewhere along the line because at least she acts appropriately outside of our house right?? Anyway, we are soooo very proud of her for receiving this award and we know she deserves it. She truly is an example and the older she gets the more proud we are of her (most days anyway). Love you Pookie!!!
