Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Laundry for Seven

Attempt # 217 to get a good laundry routine down...
OK, so you are probably sick of reading about Jen and her laundry issues..too much of it, not a big enough laundry room, etc... Well, once again I am on a quest to get a good laundry routine down. I have tried so many different ways I can't even begin to explain them. But, I am happy to report that my newest brainchild may just work (fingers crossed). We are less than a week into my new system, but it seems to be working well. My new system takes care of two of my biggest issues with the laundry in this house...piles of folded laundry on various countertops and couches and never emptied laundry baskets full of clean clothes up in the kids rooms (hence the folded clothes on the countertops since I have no laundry baskets to fill). My issues are not getting the laundry sorted or even washed, it's all about the folding and putting it away So here's my attempt #217...

My downstairs guest bedroom (directly adjacent to the laundry room) is now my "new expanded laundry room (not like the ones pictured here, but I will make due). Since our guest bedroom is not frequently used and it ends up being an area where I put things to just get them out of the way (remember this post), I am now using it as my new laundry folding room and laundry basket storage.

I usually do at least two loads a day (usually more). I never let my laundry get out of control because it is not my favorite thing to do and ends up being an overwhelming job. So straight out of the dryer, I fold the clothes in the guest bedroom and put the clothes in 7 smaller laundry baskets, each labeled with a family member's name. When these get full (or on Saturday with chores) each kid has to bring up their basket and put away their clothes in their room's. Mike and I do ours, and Brendan's and Andrew's, or sometimes I assign that chore to one of the older kid's if we can't get to it. Andrew is even carrying his little basket upstairs. The laundry must be put away immediately...no passing "go" or collecting $200. When they are done, they must bring their empty laundry basket back down to the new expanded laundry room (aka the guest bedroom). Laundry done!